Wednesday, May 28, 2008

This & That

Hello, all!!

I know, I know, I have not been around in a while - I have been soooo busy!!

Still, being fairly new at this bloggin' thing - I always feel like I need lotz of pics and at least something semi-interesting to blog about....but I think I need to do this more for me and quit stressing about it!!

Miss BJ over at Sweet Nothings is having a Kitchen Parade - you need to go on over and see all the great pics she has. But be warned....you will be wanting to tear your kitchen apart and start over.
Which is about what I have been doin', except to the WHOLE HOUSE!!

My friend, Paula (you remember, the Sweetie, that did my back porch for me) and I went to a thrift store this past Monday on a quest for plates (will get to that later), but I found some light globes (4 for $.99) and my living room ceiling fan really needed new ones.....these are the old ones.....

Yes, the really ugly, frosted, looks like a square dancing dress globes!!!

These are the new ones - clear and simple......

I really like then, however, as I stand here and look at them from this view - I thinkt hey are too little....the bulbs stick out too much....so, I guess it's back to the drawing board on this one.
While we were at the thrift store - I ran into these (I got two) with the stickers still on them - never been used (love that) - I LOVE coffee mugs and I loved the shape and especially the color of these. They are a muted turquoise.....

...and they are a match to my cute little lamp out on the patio....

...and my turquoise chaise - so I had to have them!!!

And right next to the cups....I found this perfect valance for my kitchen window - I have had the same boring white little cotton valance up there since I moved in that house 4 years ago - in fact, it was there when I moved in...anyway, I saw this and Paula said it would be perfect - I wasn't sure, but she was right (as always!!) and it looks great.

After looking at soooo many wonderful kitchen pics, trying to find ones to send to Miss BJ - I caught the fever.....and that is never good.....and starting working on mine. One of the nicest pieces of furniture I have is a baker's rack in my kitchen...but I have never been very good at decorating it....but after looking at all of your wonderful decorating ideas....I think I may be learning something. I went through every drawer, closet and under beds and drug out everything I could find to decorate with....here are some of my ideas....if you have any, please let me know...Paula and I are still working on a lot of this....

This is a fleur-de-lis (remember I am in Louisiana) candle holder that I had stuck in a closet and an old bowl that came from my grandmother.

These are some very old cookbooks - the one in the middle my aunt gave me...she got it at a garage sale....she had been gone now for about 10 years and she was very special to me....so this is a treasure. The other two I got at garage sales or at our local college book sale (another post altogether!!!) ....and a fleur-de-lis book end - that weighs about 20 lbs.
This is a tray that I got a couple of years ago and has been on a antique piece in my living room - I moved it to here for now....I'm sure I'll move it somewhere else before this is all over with...
This is what it looks like now...the picture above it was in my dining room and I moved it over the baker's rack....that is my favorite thing I did to this whole area...is the picture - I love it over the rack!!!
...not quite sure what to do with the bottom shelf - don't know if I want to leave my bread bowl there on put it in the middle of my table....I will have to think on that....that cream loaf dish - I got at another thrift store a couple of weeks ago..I think I am going to start looking for that color....I really like it.
...this is a closer view of it...


see these fruit plates...I have had these for a couple of years...they have been in a vertical plate rack under the fruit picture (now over my baker's rack) in my dining room...we took them out of the rack and put them in plate hangers and put them here...

...I promise, my kitchen is not purple...but it sure looks like it in these pictures - the color of my walls are Brickpath Red (Paula picked it out when I moved in...I think this should really be her house!!!!)...see my table there...it has been in my dining room (which is just an extra room where the back door is...and I haven't know what to do to it (until now...another post!!!) - I have always wanted my table in the kitchen but it was just too small - well, it's in there now...and I LOVE it!!!!!! ...it's very cozy!!!!




...how do I get rid of that phone thingy!!!!

I was at a garage sale a couple of years ago and I saw these two red toile pictures in these wonderful black frames....I thought they would be expensive...the lady said, "Oh, $2", I almost choked, I very calmly said, "OK" - gave her my $2 and ran to the car and sped away as fast as I could go....they are my treasures!!!


...and this is what Paula did with them on my dining room wall where the fruit picture and fruit plates used to be. I had the white plate on top and the red and white platter on bottom...the other two or what we found at the thrift store....the reason we went...to find plates to match this grouping...can you believe the perfect plates we found....I really like this....
...and here is the progress on Brandi's house - it's getting there!!!!



Whew!!!! I am tired - see, I told ya, I've been busy!!!! I'll have more tomorrow!!!!

8 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Try flame shaped bulbs in your new globes, you might be surprised. They DO look better than the square dancing ones :) Also, Thanks for the great ideas for the baker's rack. I just moved mine in from the garage this weekend! Do you remember the carpet that disappeared from Scott's office this weekend? I took it!!!! It's being cut and bound around the edges as we speak to be my "new" room rug for the den. I LOVE BARGAINS! $1000 for new carpet or $106 for a nearly new rug? Duh..... Your kitchen looks fantastic! and my house bleeds fleur de lis too :) also, TWO of my bff's have purple kitchens that are beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I love it all. Like Annie said, get you some flame shaped bulbs or candelabra bulbs. They will work--I like those globes. I love what you did to your baker's rack and your plates. I love the cups you found! It is all so cute! That valance does look good! Brandi's house is coming along so fast (I'm sure not fast enough for her, though.). You and Paula did good!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Looks like you've been having lots of fun. Love your thrifting treasures, esp. the red toile frames. Gorgeous!

Have a great week & thanks for coming by to see the beach cottages,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

You better be glad you grabbed the framed red toile before I did missy! Everything looks lovely...I just love tours of homes!!! It's one of my favorite blog pass times. I enjoyed the link. I have just GOT to go to a thrift shop! I think the bug you have is catching! :-O

Southernbelle Karen

Robin said...

I think the bakers rack looks wonderful! You did a nice job with the display! That print above is perfect!

Joy Jones said...

What great finds! Love your old cookbooks!!! I collect those too and often when I find them in antique stores, I find old receipts, photos and all sorts of what-nots tucked in between the pages. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Girl everything!!!! looks beautiful. Wow you need to come see me.
I too liked the washed white buffet best. Sometimes I dream of my old farm house and want to decorate that way,but my home isn't that style so I have to be careful.
Please dont take this bad...I love you new globes,if you want them to look alittle more fancy pick up a pack of the smaller pointed lights and you will notice the globe more . Hugs,Brenda Kay

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

That picture above the rack looks so perfect, I actually thought it was a part of the rack when I first saw it! lol

Like everybody says...try smaller bulbs in that ceiling fan. I have to use small, clear bulbs in mine because regular ones just won't work. I love your new globes, though. Very chic.

And how many times must I beg you to send Paula my way? Heck, I'll pay her room and board if she'll just get over here and get busy!! lol

Kari